Skip to main content

Rocky Four

Today I have a guest post from my lovely wife, describing a recent outing we had with some friends of hers to see Rocky Horror: The Musical at the Ordway Theater in Saint Paul:

This past Saturday (October 27) Beth and I went to aerobics (as we usually do) and then to her favorite antique store (as we often do). The owner of the shop knows Beth (and me too I guess) fairly well. I imagine that he assumes I am her closeted lesbian partner because of my successful encouragement of her frequent and large purchases (this Saturday he said “your paycheck is in the mail”) and frequent presence when he later delivers these purchases.

I was not there when he delivered the antique sofa this time, however. (I am a Grinch about Halloween this year, largely due to the failure to be invited to any parties and disinterest in hosting one.) My absence was because—while they were not Halloween plans per se—we had plans nonetheless. In fact, I had told the antique shop owner about these plans. He had been chatting with us about the party he was going to that night. I shared that I wasn’t invited to any parties and was sad, but that at least I had some fun plans—I would be seeing Rocky Horror that night! After an awkward few exchanges, it became clear that he thought I said Rocky Four. As if I wasn’t pathetic enough! He said, sarcastically, “Yes, you’ve got plans!”.

So the plan was to see Rocky Horror on stage with my best high school friends. (Who came over first for dinner, necessitating the absence from the sofa delivery.) In high school, we often went to see the movie on Saturday nights (Sunday mornings, really as the movie was at midnight) at the Uptown Theater in Minneapolis. After the show, it was important to show up at the Uptown Embers and hopefully see some cool kids who’d been at the movie. (We were not so much cool kids ourselves, but trying.) Our parents did not like these outings.

Anyway, we began the evening much more subdued this past Saturday night. My friends showed up dressed nicely for a night out at the theater in sweaters and skirts. Michael was also dressed nicely for a night at the theater with a sport jacket—I had told him that his outfit wasn’t quite right but, in fairness, didn’t really offer any alternatives or explanation. During dinner, Heidi helped me pick out a different outfit. The silver pants were too tight (but funny to show off). The black satin tuxedo pants and inappropriately low cut blouse (which disappeared under my black and bone zebra print trench coat) worked in the end.

At the show, many other attendees were dressed just like my friends and Michael – nice conservative dressed up blouses and skirts, slacks and shirts, and so on. A few attendees could have been on stage themselves – one man right behind us had the requisite bustier, fishnets, and stilettos. Perhaps after I again lamented our lame outfits, Michael said again how I had failed to give appropriate guidance. I said he could easily dress like “Brad” right then and there. Dressing like Brad at that point in the show required an undershirt, stuffed briefs, and knee-socks held up with garters. Michael started to disrobe to scare me, and, perhaps to his surprise, I didn’t stop him. He was wearing boxers rather than briefs, they didn’t appear to be stuffed, and his socks stayed up without garters, but it was still a pretty good impression. (He later expressed some relief that his fly on those particular boxers also had an extra snap.) Heidi was inspired too (after some encouragement) and took off her shirt, so she looked much like “Janet” in her bra and slip. (I think Heidi must not have worn a slip and thus kept her skirt on.)

It is true that I didn't think Katie would call my bluff. I have a very high threshold for embarrassment, and I use this to my advantage to unnerve others (perhaps reminiscent of Andy Kaufman). In fact, I wasn't expressing relief but rather regret that my Brad outfit turned out as tame as it was.

Even though I lack any semblance of modesty, I do have at least some empathy. One time in college, I dressed rather revealingly in a Speedo at Epsilon Theta's annual Halloween party. Each pledge class was supposed to dress in a theme, and ours decided to come as various computer programming languages. As we were brainstorming ideas (coming as a sailor to represent "sea" for C++, for example) we found we were a little short on commonly known languages. Stephanie (who came as Daffy Duck to represent LISP) mentioned that there's an obscure engineering language called G code. "Perfect!" I thought. "I'll just wear a G string to represent that!" And I would have, too, if it had not been for my sensitive side reminding me just how many people would be induced to vomit at the sight of my hairy cheeks.

I have a picture of that costume at home that I'll scan in soon. Watch this space!

Comments

  1. I think I missed that Halloween party ... :) Reminds me of the rainbow acrylic underwear though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the joint blogging! And the crazy costumes ...though I'm glad you guys weren't thus attired when we came trick or treating with Maria. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous7:41 PM

    Katie's post is awesome. I was also partial to the induced to vomit at the sight of hairy cheeks bit, although, not quite so high on the charming scale.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous5:29 PM

    It's been a long time and I found your blog just now.

    I am so happy for you and Katie! Congratulations!

    May your lives be full of great joy.

    -kms-

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Can You Cross Your Toes?

Katie and I had a heated discussion the night before last. We were sitting on the couch watching Jon Stewart when she noticed a large, apparently cancerous growth sticking out of the bottom of my foot. She asked what the big lump in my sock was. "That's my toe," I responded, nonplussed. I had crossed my first and second toes, causing a lump to protrude from the bottom of my sock. Katie was quite alarmed. "You can cross your toes?" "Sure, can't you? Everyone can cross their toes!" "Of course I can't cross my toes. Who can cross their toes?" And I confirmed that Katie could not, in fact, cross her toes. Even manipulating her toes with my fingers, I could not get her toes to stay crossed. She just has very short toes. That led, of course, into a discussion of who was the freak. Were my long, crossable toes abnormal, or were her stubby, uncrossable phalanges the outliers? In case you're confused, here are some pictures. First, of my v

Leagalize drugs!

The Economist has a wonderful editorial this week about legalizing drugs. I wholeheartedly agree that the world will be better off by far if the United States legalized, taxed, and regulated illicit drugs such as cannabis, cocaine, and heroin. The goods that will come from legalization: 1. We will save the $40 billion the US spends trying to eliminate the supply of drugs. 2. We will save the costs involved in incarcerating so many drug offenders (as well as gain their productivity in society). 3. We will gain money through taxation on the legal drug trade. 4. Legalized drugs will be regulated, and thus purer and safer to take. 5. With all these savings, we will have lots of money to spend on treating drug addiction as a public health issue rather than as a law and order issue. We will have lots of money to fund treatment programs for addicts that are ensnared by the easier availability of drugs. 6. We will prevent tens of thousands of killings in countries that produce drugs when proc

2017 Prognostication Quiz FINAL POST: Questions 10 and 11, Stocks and Quakes

In the last post , I pointed out that Matthew D. and I were in a two-way tie at the top of the leaderboard with me holding the edge over him in the tiebreaker. For Matthew D. to have a chance to come from behind and grab the win, some significant December movement would be needed in one of three areas: the stock market, world earthquakes, or a convenient death. Here's what happened: 10. Stocks (December 29) How will stocks do in this first year of Trumponomics? Will the Dow Jones Industrial Average be up or down compared to the final close of 2016? Which way will the Dow go? a. Up b. Down The Dow Jones continued to rise throughout the month. I maintained my advantage in the tie-breaker. 11. Earthquake (December 31) How many big earthquakes (magnitude 8.0 or larger on the Richter scale) will there be this year? (Big earthquake counts from this millennium are indicated in parentheses.) How many big earthquakes will there be this year? a. None (2) b. One (7) c. Two (4) d. Th