Skip to main content

My ten life goals

I am achingly close to accomplishing one of my life goals! I am marrying the love of my life in just under a month now. I may have had some false starts, but Katie was certainly worth the wait! I love being with her and being a part of her. I'm so happy to be spending the rest of my life with her, and I'm very excited to be celebrating our marriage in front of 200 of our friends and family in just four weeks!

More on that later. This post is about my life goals. I started my list fifteen years ago after reading a magazine article on an airplane. The article suggested that keeping an up-to-date list of goals was a good way to keep some perspective on life. It seemed like a neat idea to me, so I started right away. Although I could have populated my list with things like "finish college" or "land safely," I wanted my goals to be longer term and involve significant effort toward something that I might not normally take. I started with three goals and added more as the years went by. I just added the tenth goal now, figuring that it's only fair to add another one since I'm crossing one off.

Here, then, are my life goals:



Goal

Start

Odds

Notes

Get my doctorate

1992

100%

Completed: December 2000

Marry for love

1992

99.9998%

Coming to a Pavilion near me, June 2007! (I figure the odds of a tragic fatal accident in any given month are 0.0001%)

Start a family

1992

97%

Completed: June 2007 + nine months?

Travel to all 50 United States

1994

99%

I'm 90% done with this one. I still need to get to Alaska, Oregon, Idaho, South Carolina, and Mississippi.

Have a first-author paper accepted to Cell, Science, or Nature

1994

50%

I am first author on papers in three lesser journals. I am co-author on one Cell paper, and I am also marrying someone who is co-author on a Science paper.

Experience weightlessness in space

1995

60%

This is currently just out of my price range at $20,000,000 for a trip on Soyuz. Virgin Galactic is planning on starting regular flights in 2009, however, and is selling advance tickets for $200,000. Market projections estimate the price will drop to $25,000 in the foreseeable future as the market grows to 1,000,000 passengers per year.

View a total solar eclipse

1995

98%

I toyed with traveling to Turkey on March 29, 2006. July 22, 2009 in Shanghai, July 11, 2010 in Tahiti, or November 13, 2012 in Australia and New Zealand are tempting. August 1, 2008 in Siberia or March 20, 2015 on the North Pole are less tempting. The continental US will have one on August 21, 2017 (the first since 1979).

See an effective treatment for Huntington’s disease developed

1997

95%

I made this goal the year I was diagnosed and dedicated my professional life to finding a treatment. I know I have only a small part to play in this with the research I do, but I’ll keep working at this as long as I can.

Win an open event at a North American Bridge Championship

1999

1%

I thought much more highly about my bridge prospects when I set this goal. To increase my chances, I need to have a long-term established partnership that is very highly practiced. I’m working on this, but other of my life goals have taken more of my time of late. I want to get as close to this goal as I can. In July of 2004, I won an open regional event, one step below the North American title. The closest I’ve come to winning a North American Bridge Championship is qualifying for the second day of play in the IMP Pairs, also in July of 2004. (That was a good tournament. Both of those were with my grad school partner Dave.)

Travel to 25 foreign countries

2005

50%

I made this after enjoying myself so much with Katie on our trip to France and England. Before the trip, international travel never really appealed to me so much. That changed with the idyllic walks around Paris. So far I’m only 28% of the way to my goal: I have been to Canada, Iceland, Netherlands, England, France, Italy, and (when I was a year old) the Bahamas.

Write a book

2007

99%

Now I’m up to an even ten goals. I was inspired to add this based on Alyse’s writing her recent novel (will blog about this later) and also Rusty's repeated exhortations that I should write a book. My book will probably be a list of amusing reminiscences along the lines of Richard Feynman’s Surely You’re Joking, Mr. Feynman. I have few hopes of getting mine published like his unless I also happen to win a Nobel Prize.

Comments

  1. Anonymous9:22 PM

    What's so maybe about Katie?

    - Missy & Tina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woot, babies! I approve whole-heartedly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. JMA, I like the balance of dream/hope with practicality in these goals. Thanks for sharing the list!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Can You Cross Your Toes?

Katie and I had a heated discussion the night before last. We were sitting on the couch watching Jon Stewart when she noticed a large, apparently cancerous growth sticking out of the bottom of my foot. She asked what the big lump in my sock was. "That's my toe," I responded, nonplussed. I had crossed my first and second toes, causing a lump to protrude from the bottom of my sock. Katie was quite alarmed. "You can cross your toes?" "Sure, can't you? Everyone can cross their toes!" "Of course I can't cross my toes. Who can cross their toes?" And I confirmed that Katie could not, in fact, cross her toes. Even manipulating her toes with my fingers, I could not get her toes to stay crossed. She just has very short toes. That led, of course, into a discussion of who was the freak. Were my long, crossable toes abnormal, or were her stubby, uncrossable phalanges the outliers? In case you're confused, here are some pictures. First, of my v

Leagalize drugs!

The Economist has a wonderful editorial this week about legalizing drugs. I wholeheartedly agree that the world will be better off by far if the United States legalized, taxed, and regulated illicit drugs such as cannabis, cocaine, and heroin. The goods that will come from legalization: 1. We will save the $40 billion the US spends trying to eliminate the supply of drugs. 2. We will save the costs involved in incarcerating so many drug offenders (as well as gain their productivity in society). 3. We will gain money through taxation on the legal drug trade. 4. Legalized drugs will be regulated, and thus purer and safer to take. 5. With all these savings, we will have lots of money to spend on treating drug addiction as a public health issue rather than as a law and order issue. We will have lots of money to fund treatment programs for addicts that are ensnared by the easier availability of drugs. 6. We will prevent tens of thousands of killings in countries that produce drugs when proc

2017 Prognostication Quiz FINAL POST: Questions 10 and 11, Stocks and Quakes

In the last post , I pointed out that Matthew D. and I were in a two-way tie at the top of the leaderboard with me holding the edge over him in the tiebreaker. For Matthew D. to have a chance to come from behind and grab the win, some significant December movement would be needed in one of three areas: the stock market, world earthquakes, or a convenient death. Here's what happened: 10. Stocks (December 29) How will stocks do in this first year of Trumponomics? Will the Dow Jones Industrial Average be up or down compared to the final close of 2016? Which way will the Dow go? a. Up b. Down The Dow Jones continued to rise throughout the month. I maintained my advantage in the tie-breaker. 11. Earthquake (December 31) How many big earthquakes (magnitude 8.0 or larger on the Richter scale) will there be this year? (Big earthquake counts from this millennium are indicated in parentheses.) How many big earthquakes will there be this year? a. None (2) b. One (7) c. Two (4) d. Th